Guide to CFA Fire Tanks

Guide to CFA Fire Tanks in Victoria


This is a guide to the requirements for new houses to have a dedicated tank for fire water. It was written to give an overview of the requirements and should not be regarded as a substitute for professional advice. It is not applicable outside Victoria – other states have different requirements. Nor is it applicable to commercial, community or industrial buildings.

1. How to determine if you need a fire water supply.

You need to find out if your property is in a Planning area covered by a Bushfire Management Overlay.

This information is available online.

Go to

The report you need is called a 'Planning Property Report'. This report lists the planning overlays that apply to your property. It may also mention overlays that apply to nearby properties.

If you are in a Bushfire Management Overlay area, you will need a dedicated fire water supply.

2. Tank Size.

Three sizes of tank are specified.

For lot sizes up to 500 square metres, a tank of 2500 litres effective volume is required.

For properties 500 to 1000 square metres, a tank of 5000 litres effective volume is required if there is a fire hydrant within 120 metres of the rear of the building. If there is no fire hydrant, a tank of 10000 litres effective volume is required.

Properties greater than 1000 square metres are required to have a tank of 10000 litres effective volume.

10000 litre tanks are required to have a fitting to enable the CFA to connect to the tank and also a connection for the householder to connect their fire pump.

3. Tank Location

Fire trucks must be able to get within 4 metres of tanks fitted with CFA compatible fittings.

You may be required to provide space for the fire truck to turn.

4. Tank Construction

The tank is required to be constructed of concrete or metal.

All fixed above-ground water pipes and fittings required for fire fighting purposes must be made of corrosive resistant metal.

5. Signs

A triangular red, white and blue sign may be required for tanks with CFA fittings.

6. Combined tanks.

The fire water supply may be in the same tank as other water supplies provided that a separate outlet is reserved for fire fighting water supplies.

If you need tanks for rainwater collection, consider installing a large tank - the bottom 10000 L can be reserved for Fire purposes and the rest is available for domestic purposes.

7. Use of Dams and Swimming Pools as a Fire Water supply

The CFA considers that dams and swimming pools are not suitable as an alternative static water supply due to the potential for reduced capacity and water quality (e.g. through silting) in drought conditions.

Reference Documents

Section 52.47 Victorian Planning Provisions

CFA Standard Planning Permit Conditions

Planning Practice Note 65